What is Kijiji?
Kijiji is Canada’s most popular free, local classifieds site. Kijiji offers a convenient, fun, and easy way for people in the same city to buy, sell, trade and help each other out in areas such as goods, cars, services, housing and jobs. The word “kijiji” (pronounced like key-gee-gee) means “village” in Swahili. This name was chosen because it captures the essence of what we are creating – a site where people can connect with others in their community.
The very first thing you have to do whenever posting ANY ad on Kijiji is select your location and a category to list your ad in. This might seem like a very common sense and easy thing to do, however you wouldn’t believe the number of ads that get posted in the wrong category or city and never end up getting any interested buyers. Take your time on the first step and make sure you are picking the exact category to place your ad in so that it will get the most viewership.
2. Headline Title
Your headline is one of the most important aspects to creating the perfect Kijiji Ad. A majority of ads on Kijiji contain a quick headline that the seller spent only a couple of seconds coming up with. You could be selling the greatest product or service on the net, but if you cant create a compelling headline that turns a browser into a reader then the rest of your ad might as well not exist. The better your headline is the better the chance you’ll turn that browser into a buyer.
On average, 8 out of 10 people will read your headline, but only 2 out of 10 will actually click the headline and read the rest of your post. This is the secret to the power of your title, and why it so highly determines the effectiveness of the entire piece.
So youre probably wondering “How do I create a flawless headline?” Here are some guidelines to remember every time:
- Make sure it is clear and easy to understand
- Provide captivating words such as clean, barely used, great shape, amazing, perfect condition, like new, bargain, one of a kind, beautiful, gorgeous, magnificent
- Try to point out a couple of your highest points about your product or service such as location, value, extras or freebies
- Include keywords consistent with the content in your ad
Room Rental Example:
Luxury Modern Rooms for Rent All Incl 2 Min from UWO Campus
Personal Trainer Example:
Certified Female Personal Trainer – 18 Years Experience – 1 Month Free
When people are browsing Kijiji they are usually very price sensitive otherwise they would just buy the product brand new. If you are selling an item always include a price in your ad so that people can know right away whether your item is within their budget. Potential buyers don’t have the time to call up every ad that says “Please Contact” in the price section. They want to know right away whether they can afford the item or not, otherwise they will move onto your competitors ad that has the price listed.
Make sure to research how much your competitors are selling a similar item for. This will give you a good idea of the price range you should be looking to price your product at. A price too low might make buyers think your item is invaluable or flawed, whereas a price too high might make consumers buy the product brand new or from a competitor.
Provide very detailed, descriptive, relevant content in order to fully educate the prospective buyer and answer any questions he/she might have about the product or service.
What to Include for Products:
- Manufacturer specifications of the product
i.e. Honda Civic Sedan 1.8-litre, 16-valve, SOHC, i-VTEC® 4-cylinder
- Measurements of the product
i.e. Dining room table measurements: 71”L x 39.25”D x 30.5”H
- When it was purchased
i.e. Mountain Bike was purchased summer of July, 2012
- Condition of the product
i.e. Winter tires like new, used only half a season with less than 1000km put on them (still have 90% tread left)
- Where the product was purchased from
i.e. Flat screen TV purchased at Best Buy in downtown Vancouver
- Highlights that differentiate your product from competitors
i.e. Handcrafted custom antique solid Maplewood dresser, made in Canada
- Upgrades or changes you have made to the product since it was purchased
i.e. Lazy Boy Recliner was professionally re-upholstered 6 months ago
- Freebies or extra’s you want to throw in to sweeten the deal
i.e. Apple iPod comes with brand new free case and headphones
What to Include for Services:
- What you can offer potential clients
i.e. Goodlife Fitness can achieve all your fitness goals including: weight loss, muscle growth, one-on-one training, and increased flexibility or tone
- How many years you have been in the industry
i.e. Highly qualified Spanish tutor with over 15 years experience
- Qualifications or education you have received
i.e. I am a Registered Early Childhood Educator as well as an Ontario Certified Teacher with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto
- Awards or recognition received
i.e. Calgary based wedding planner, Winner of the 2012 and 2013 Brides Choice Award
- Freebies or extra’s you want to throw in to sweeten the deal
i.e. Vancouver Academy of Music, receive a free week of one-on-one training if you book now
- Corporate website and social media pages for more information
i.e. For more information visit www.DJBorhan.com and don’t forget to Follow DJ Borhan on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, and Instagram
- Reviews or testimonials from past satisfied customers
i.e. Check out what others are saying about Blush Wedding Photography: Thank you Kristy and Ken for capturing our day perfectly. We love your passion and energy for your work. And the pictures were amazing, we could not have asked for more. It was such a perfect day and you guys were a huge part of it – Rachel
5. Formatting of Content
If you have checked out any ads on Kijiji lately you will find it very difficult if not impossible to find an ad someone took the time to actually format. When your ad looks organized it is much easier for people browsing to view your content and therefore will significantly eliminate questions about your ad to your email inbox.
Here is a list of formatting examples you can use to organize your content:
- Use bullet points or a numbered list
- Space out your paragraphs – white space is your friend
- Bold important points you want to POP OUT such as: titles, headlines, contact information, highlights and price
Job Posting Example:
MacBook Air (13 – inch) – Immaculate Condition – W/ Lots of Extras
- 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
- 128GB flash storage
- 256GB flash storage
Configurable to 512GB flash storage.
- 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache
Configurable to 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.
- 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
Configurable to 8GB.
- *** Free 100gb Western Digital Passport USB Portable Hard Drive ***
- Incase 13” Black Neoprene Sleeve
- 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
- Call or Text 999-999-1234 or email (email@example.com) for more info –
Pictures, pictures, pictures! I cannot stress enough how important it is to include pictures on your ad. How do you expect someone to buy what you’re selling if they can’t see what it is? Include relevant, up to date, high quality images with lots of light and color. Youre better off posting no picture than a blurry dark image of your product or service.
“We live in the age of the “camera in everyone’s pocket” and with more than 2.5 billion camera phones in use we are entering a new dynamic era around image creation and content” – (Bob Lisbon from Luminate)
“Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language.” – (Walt Disney Company)
40% of people will respond better to visual information than plain text. (Zabisco)
Articles with images get 94% more views than those without. (MDG Advertising)
90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text. (Zabisco)
If you would like to take visuals a step further, upload a video of your product or service in action and post the link to your Kijiji ad. If a potential buyer can see an HD tour of your product or service first, they will be much more willing to travel a long distance to view what you are selling in person.
Viewers are 85% more likely to purchase a product after watching a product video. (Internet Retailer)
Viewers spend 100% more time on pages with videos on them. (MarketingSherpa)
Mobile video viewing increased 35% from 2010 to 2011. (Nielsen)
House Tour Example:
DJ Demo Example:
Kijiji has already helped you with this tip by providing a Poster Contact Information form on the top right hand side of your ad. This feature allows potential buyers to contact you via email without you having to disclose your email address to the public. It also allows you to enter your phone number as a secondary method of contacting you. If you feel comfortable providing your phone number online make sure to also add it to the bottom of your ad to remind buyers to call you once they are finished reading the ad over.
Note: Kijiji will not allow you to post your email address in your ad to protect their users.
For people or businesses providing a service make sure to provide a link to your contact page on your website and/or any social media links you would like viewers to visit.
It is especially important to provide a location to where your product or service is available for viewing. This will allow users to know whether or not they are able to commute to see your ad in real life and purchase what you are offering. If you are skeptical about providing your full address online, at the very least provide the city you live in and your postal code.
10. Making the Sale
1. Introduce yourself and ask the customer if they have any questions about your product or service.
Note: If the answer to the question is not already provided in your ad, make sure to include the answer in your ad. This will make viewers happy because they won’t have to ask as many questions when they contact you and you won’t have to keep providing the same answer to every interested buyer.
2. Set up a time and place they can meet up to view the product or talk about the service you are offering.
3. Provide your name, phone number, and full address or meeting place so they can contact you at anytime for their convenience.
- 6 Powerful Reasons Why you Should include Images in your Marketing – Infographic – Jeff Bullas
- 19 Reasons You Should Include Visual Content in Your Marketing (Data) – Amanda Sibley
- 20 Lessons from Walt Disney on Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Chasing Your Dreams – Lewis Howes
- About Us – Kijiji
- Content Marketing: Videos attract 300% more traffic and nurture leads -Marketing Sherpa
- It’s All About Images (Infographic) – Joanne Del Gigante from MDG Advertising
- Magnetic Headlines – Brian Clark from Copyblogger
- State of the Media: Mobile Media Report Q3 2011 – Nielsen
- Video Statistic – Internet Retailer
- Welcome to the Imagesphere – Bob Lisbon from Luminate
- Why Every SEO Strategy Needs Infographics – Zabisco