Anyone in the local search space knows that Internet Yellow Pages directories have been making a huge play in SEO over the past few years, as a two pronged strategy to win organic search traffic and make up for shrinking print directories. But have you ever wondered which one’s had the best overall SEO visibility amongst Canadian IYPs? Over at my work blog for Powered by Search, Shagun Vatsa and I answered just that question. Here’s the methodology we used:
We ran ranking checks on 1100 heading + city keywords based on the following parameters:
- Generic Canadian IYPs and citation sources we used based on their overall authority, web presence and traffic volume.
- Top 11 Yellow Pages headings were chosen based on the Yellow Pages Association’s 2005-2009 YPA Local Media Tracking Study.
- 100 largest Canadian cities by population were chosen based on the Canada 2001 and 2006 census.
- Keyword searches were performed on Google Canada English search engine.
- Keyword searches were performed in the following format: <Heading>+<City> (eg: Car Dealers Toronto).
- The final results are based on the visibility of the selected IYPs and how often they ranked in the top 10 organic search results.
- The keyword rankings were processed through a software rank checker, which ultimately means that the data is close to 100% but may have errors due to time-outs or no results being returned.
The results were interesting to say the least, but in order to find out what they were, head over to the Powered by Search blog now.