The world of SEO is constantly changing. However, I’ve managed to find some pretty timeless and practical quotes. Below is a list of my favourite ten:
1) “Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first.” — Wendy Piersall
While this is still speculation, rumour has it that the more social shares your link has on Google+, the more visible you will be. I’ve only been at this for about a month, so I can’t exactly comment on the validity of this (yet!) but it did highlight the notion of social proof. Essentially, social proof is when something is attributed credibility because you see that others have shared/liked/retweeted it.
2) “My rule of thumb is build a site for a user not a spider.” — Dave Naylor
This was one of the main points that was drilled into my head while taking the Hubspot Inbound Marketing Certification. In order to be successful at SEO, you have to design your websites with your buyer persona in mind.
3) “You can chase whatever keywords and phrases you like, but at the end of the day it’s all about those conversions.” – Matt Webb
Conversions are what drive a business, plain and simple.
4) “Crawling is not a guarantee you’re indexed.”—Rand Fishkin, Moz
Search engines such as Google crawl a website typically for the purpose of indexing. However, there are different levels of indexation – some that result in pages not being ranked at all. So again, be sure to make your pages as user and search engine friendly as possible.
5) “The three essential elements of an effective SEO are effective communication, useful information and high quality backlinks.” – SEO Refugee
6) “The objective is not to ‘make your links appear natural'; the objective is that your links are natural.” — Matt Cutts
Don’t try to cheat the system by playing some cheap tricks. Follow the rules and I assure you it’ll pay off in the long run.
7) “If I spent my time reporting every competitor of mine breaking a rule, that’s all I’d EVER do and my own sites would suck because they’d be getting no attention.” – Rae Hoffman
Don’t get caught up with trying to monitor what your competitors are doing! Rather, focus on some SEO best practices to implement on your own site and leave the policing to the search engines.
8) “Good SEO work only gets better over time. It’s only search engine tricks that need to keep changing when the ranking algorithms change.” – Jill Whalen
When I first read this quote, it instantly reminded me of the difference between white and black hat SEO tricks.
9) “It’s much easier to double your business by doubling your conversion rate than by doubling your traffic.” — Jeff Eisenberg
According to Hubspot, 98% of website visitors never return to your site after the first visit. While getting high traffic is good and all, at the end of the day, traffic doesn’t translate into visitors converting into leads and thus, customers.
10) “Content is king, but marketing is queen, and runs the household.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
While content is of utmost importance in the world of SEO, if it’s never shared or promoted properly, it will be as if it doesn’t even exist.
These are just some quotes I came across so far. I’m sure that I’ll come across many more in the near future.
What are some of your favourite SEO quotes? Feel free to share them with us in the comments section below!
Get your Free 30 minute Consultation with us.